How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: your used hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the overall population, around 14% have some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever had them
I think we should be concerned. Because health problems like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new research coming out all of the time. These health issues can be eliminated and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the typical family up to $12,000 each year which should be an extremely persuasive fact. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by as much as 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might simply not be feasible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have an enormous impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It might also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by many manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.